Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday 1 November 2006

Weekend @ home

Occasionally it is nice to not have plans on the weekends (it was a bit crazy the first few weekends in Japan with lots of places to go to). Last weekend was one of the few lazy weekends. So, how did we spend our weekend home?

On Friday night we had some nearby JETs over at our place for dinner. It was a simple 'bring-a-dish', and we all had our fill of yummy home-cooked dishes and store-bought sweets. More importantly, it was good company. I am conscious of not relying too much on other JETs to fill our social agendas at the expense of Japanese cultural experiences that we could be having, so we make it a point to meet up with them only every few weeks. For some of us, these get-togethers are a means of letting out some frustrations over work and sharing good experiences with other JETs.







On Saturday, Rob and I made sushi together for lunch, and it was yummy! The marine students at school fish, prepare and sell to the teachers various types of fish, and I always buy a packet or two. For the sushi, I panfried a couple of these saury fish to use as filling - in hindsight, I think I will use a less boney fish (I'd never cooked nor eaten saury before so had no idea that there were so many bones!). In the afternoon, we usually ride our bikes into town to have English conversation 'classes' with a group of ladies who wants to practise their English with us.

Rob with his mouth full of sushi


The aftermath of eating wasabi (Rob is addicted to the 'wasabi reaction' and will happilly eat chunks of wasabi just for the heck of it). Good thing I had my camera handy - Rob wasn't very willing to let me take photos of him in tears though!


On Sunday mornings at home, I usually make pancakes, damper and pikelets to have for brekkie. Then it's off to the supermarket in town (on our bikes if the weather is great) to grab some groceries. I have also made it a bit of a habit to indulge in some simple baking pleasures on the weekends.

Home-made pikelets


We have big plans for next weekend - we're off to Kyoto for a couple of days! I'm really looking forward to it :)

2 comments:

  1. HOney: so it took you only 10mins in the interview...and then...what? were you australian citizen already or was there more to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your email - I've sent u more details..

    ReplyDelete