Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 17 February 2007

Chocolatey treats

Banana-choc muffins



On the weekend, I made a spontaneous decision to bake choc-banana muffins for breakfast. If I was more prepared (with milk in the fridge, for example), I would have followed my berry muffin recipe (the first recipe posted on this journal!) a little bit closer (after all, I did successfully make apple muffins using that method). No milk, what did I do? I used water instead, and hoped that the creamy texture of the bananas would compensate the lack of milk. And it turned out quite nice! This is a low-fat high-fibre muffin, which is almost too healthy for weekend breakfast food.

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 eggs
1/2 cup water
2 large bananas, mashed

Method
Preheat the oven to 180degC. Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then combine until just blended. Take care not to overmix the batter otherwise the muffins will be tough. Pour the mixture into a 8 muffin cups, filling each muffin cup only 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20mins.


Choc-peanut balls



So I have some leftover sponge cake, what do I do with them? Make truffles/balls of course! I have previously made choc balls using cake crumbs so I knew that this would work. I didn't really use a recipe as such, just a little of this and that from around the kitchen. It's no big secret that nuts and chocolate goes well with each other, and I worked on that principle. The quantities would all depend on your taste. Start off with a little amount and work your way up until the taste is right.

Ingredients
Plain sponge cake, crumbed
Cocoa powder
Peanut butter (unsalted and unsweetened)
Honey
Unsalted cashews, finely chopped

Method
Mix the cake crumbs with the cocoa powder, honey and peanut butter until the mixture attained a sticky consistency (add a little at a time to ensure that you are not left with a gloopy mess). Use your (clean) hands for this job! Roll into small balls and coat with the chopped nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment