Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 31 December 2010

Christmas 2010

This Christmas was our busiest one yet, and we entertained two Japanese families and my father-in-law's family from Brisbane who is visiting us over the Christmas and New Year period. It seems that we have developed a bit of a tradition of inviting Japanese families to share with them Aussie-style Christmas-at-home. For the fourth year in a row, we have introduced roast turkey to Japanese friends who have never eaten from a whole roast turkey, and I will never tire of seeing the looks on their faces every time I bring the turkey out to the table. I did not roast this year's bird because although we recently bought a table-top Delonghi oven (the largest one we could find in Hong Kong), it is still smaller than our table-top oven in Japan (which was barely big enough for the smallest turkey). Instead I ordered a 6kg roast turkey from Main St Deli at Langham Hotel, and prepared everything else at home. The turkey was flavourful and thankfully not too dry, but hubby and I weren't too keen on the stuffing and gravy. Everyone seemed to love everything though! I spent 99% of Christmas day (and night) in the kitchen, but I would happily do this many times over again!

I made a Cobb Loaf Dip in addition to the usual snack fare. I made a healthier less calorie-laden version, and everyone loved it! Recipe here:

The roast turkey came with sage and chestnut stuffing, cranberry sauce (with whole cranberries!) and gravy. Homemade side dishes included roasted butternut pumpkin and sweet potatoes with honey and rosemary, steamed cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce, coleslaw and mashed potatoes:

Hubby is getting quite pro at carving turkeys!

Everyone in our living room - it was a tight squeeze in our tiny apartment:

Dessert was a Peach Trifle using homemade cake, a can of sliced peaches, mango-flavoured jelly, homemade custard and topped with crushed digestive biscuits:


I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas, and I wish you all a fabulous 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment