Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 23 June 2006

Mummy's cooking..

I adore my mother's cooking. This is something I will miss a lot during my stay in Japan. Hot, spicy and tasty (greasy) food. Mmm yum.. My mum celebrated her birthday last Saturday and she had a mini 'party' at her place. Although it was her birthday, she wanted to have a do at home rather than go out for dinner so unfortunately she spent a lot of time preparing the food and cleaning the place.. But anyway, her food didn't go unappreciated. Far from that - they were so yum!

This blog entry is really for the benefit of two of my sisters who couldn't make it due to exam preparations or being out of Australia. You guys missed out big time!

My mum's chicken curry - the one that I've been going on and on about!


The noodles she cooked were yummy too!! It had prawns and pork and egg in it..


She steamed sea bass with julienned ginger, soy and some white wine - it was delicious! I used to love it when we had steamed fish for dinner (pan-fried fish was my mum's preferred cooking method therefore steamed fish didn't happen very regularly when I was still living at home)


To help out with the food, we went to Hong Kong BBQ to pick up a whole roast duck ($21) (I recently did a review for this place). Pretty greasy, but pretty tasty roast duck (probably the best I've had in Perth).


One of the guests made this dessert which I can only describe as a dumpling made of Pulut Hitam (black glutinous rice - usually cooked with water, pandan leaves and sugar to a consistency similar to a pudding/porridge and served as a dessert with coconut cream) filled with Kaya (a sweet jam made from coconut, eggs and pandan). I love Pulut Hitam, and I thought that this was an ingenious and innovative way to present it.


Went to Regent Cakes on Francis Street in Northbridge to buy a birthday cake for my mum. Regent Cakes is an Asian bakery and makes quite good cakes. You can also buy other Asian bakeries like those sweet or savoury buns with various fillings like custard, red bean paste or bbq pork. This cake is a fresh fruit and cream pandan cake. The cake is for 15-18 people and costed $45 (!!). Need to preorder at least one day in advance for a big cake, and at least 2 days if you want a pandan cake.






The group was looking at photos taken by Ian at the wedding of our pastor's son who got married on the previous weekend (the pastor and his wife are the only non-Asians in the photo. Oh, besides Rob that is - I keep forgetting about Rob). Great opportunity to grab a group photo shot without that fake posed look.


Hehe, I like this photo of my mum. She doesn't usually smile in photos, and the ones of her smiling usually look fake. Ian gave her the rabbit ears..

4 comments:

  1. That chicken curry looks delicious. Mum cooks the same sort of chicken curry every now and then - I think she calls it yellow chicken curry or something... needless to say, it lasts all of about 5 seconds after it's finished.
    Mum saw the cake and now I have to order one for her. Gee, thanks. But it's ok, I think that we're going to have guests over around then anyway, and worst comes to worst we always have Coralee's husband.... :D.
    The piccy of your mum is a good one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.. :) You can always order the cake in the next size down (i.e. smallest size) which will cost between $20-30, and it would probably be enough for 8 people.. Oh, and a tip - Regent Cakes is not open on Wednesdays..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! A chance to practise my Japanese learning..
    Douitashimashite!

    ReplyDelete