Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Thursday 21 September 2006

Scuba-diving and superfresh snail sashimi

The marine teachers at my school have been very kind (they were especially interested in the fact that I'm a marine engineer) offering to teach me scuba-diving and windsurfing. I joined in the scuba-diving class at my school today for fifth and sixth period. Okay, I did not actually do any scuba-diving since I don't have the basic knowledge, but I did go snorkelling and it was fun! (The students from both the windsurfing and scuba-diving classes were somewhat puzzled when they saw me at the back of the school (where they were preparing for the classes), probably not expecting me to actually do something un-ladylike like actually getting myself mucky and wet.) The waves were choppy so it was somewhat tiring (I'm not a very strong nor confident swimmer so there were times when I freaked out a little whilst in the water) but I was glad I did it.

Anyway, whilst snorkelling, Miyashita-sensei grabbed a few sea snails from the rocks, cracked them open and offered them to us to eat. I love sashimi, and it isn't the first time I had raw snails so I took one. Just before putting it in my mouth, the thought that it was still alive crossed my mind, and I hesitated. Apparently long enough for Miyashita-sensei to notice and chuckle. I shoved it into my mouth (partly out of pride), and it was delicious. It is pretty hard to beat the taste of seafood superfresh out of the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment