Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Monday 30 October 2006

An unpleasant discovery..

One of the American JETs brought some Hershey's milk chocolates to share on Friday after the dinner hosted at our place, and we had one small block leftover. Now, ever since I developed a taste for dark chocolate, I snub milk chocolates so I did not have any of these chocolates on Friday night. So yesterday, I offered this leftover chocolate piece to Rob, and he rejected it. Which is amazing because Rob doesn't reject chocolates. But he said this one is not that great. He even said to chuck it because he won't be having it. I hate wasting food, so I thought I'll try a bit. It's chocolate - how bad can it be?

It was foul and I literally spat it out (Rob was very amused by my reaction which involved a lot of grotesque facial expressions). I've had chocolates from those cheap generic name brands, and yeah they were not great, but I kid you not, these Hershey's chocolates were worse. It had a weird taste and I will never ever have another Hershey's chocolate. I don't claim to be a connoiseur in chocolate, but we do indulge in having a bit of (dark) chocolate after dinner almost everyday so I think I have pretty good judgement in chocolates. These Hershey's chocolates ought to be banned! I hope never to encounter chocolates like this one ever again! Another JET (from England) said American chocolates were bad, but I thought they were just being patriotic to what's available in their own country (because they did say that they thought English chocolates are best). Although Hershey's probably is not representative of all American chocolates, I think I will stick on the safe side and avoid American chocolates. I don't think I'd want to offend any Americans with the same reaction I had yesterday.

I wish fine Swiss or Belgian chocolates were more easily available here... Oh how I miss Lindt and Guylian.

3 comments:

  1. It's true. Hersheys sucks.
    Haha
    Yeah, those chocolates were foul. And Jean's reactions were hilarious.
    We've been introducing a lot of people to vegemite just to see amusing reactions, but Jeans actually beat any of theirs. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hershey's is HORRIBLE CHOCOLATE - It is surprising to me that it even sells!
    Have you tried DOVE Chocolate - I find it quite pleasant when I need to satisfy my sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Dove chocolate is pretty nice, although it is probably a little on the sweet side. We can't get Dove, Nestle, Cadbury dark chocolates very easily here in inaka Japan. We usually settle for the Japanese name brands which are surprisingly ok (the dark chocolates are usually named 'black chocolate' or 'bitter chocolate' but they are still quite sweet to suit the Japanese tastebuds).

    ReplyDelete