Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Sunday 3 June 2007

Bloody mackeral!

Literally. I bought nice shiny saba (mackeral), and proceeded to gut (degut?) one of them for my lunch. There was so much blood, that it really caught me by surprise. I mean, I've gutted fish before, so I thought I knew what to expect.. The local fish monger must know the secret to gutting saba without spilling blood because I saw him do it two weeks ago when I bought the same type of fish off him for twice the price.

I was a bit restless today. As I said in reply to a comment posted on my last entry: A Saturday without social plans can suck (unless it's for a much-needed rest). A Saturday without Rob, without plans, without a readily available car, stuck in countryside sucks even bigger time. It's not that I don't have things to do. I do have hobbies I wanna expand on, like photography. And I am quite behind with my Japanese studies. And I do have 'chores' to do for my successor. I lack motivation to do chores on the weekends, so I spent a bit of time reading some of the pages of this 21-page thread on 'worst meal at someone's home'. Amusing read, although it fed my insecurities about hosting meals at my place.

It was a gorgeous day (it was overcast and a bit drizzly the past few days) so after I finished some household chores, I took a walk around the neighbourhood with my camera. It was quite windy, otherwise I'd have biked it to get nicer photo ops. I live in a nice quiet neighbourhood, and there's even a small pond maybe 20m away from my kitchen door (obstacles in the way though). There was an unusual type of flower growing around - both in purple and brilliant yellow. I'm guessing it's a type of lily.



Ok, food-related post next time, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment