Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Thursday 9 February 2012

Burgers and milkshake @ BLT Burger, Hong Kong

Someone once aptly wrote: "Burgers are the blue jeans of comfort food", and I couldn't agree more with this analogy. Like jeans, burgers are loved by many, and they are easily obtainable in most countries, but finding a good one takes some effort. The other week, I went shopping for jeans to replace the evidently well-worn pair that I bought more than 5 years ago, and an amazing thing happened: I bought the first pair of jeans I tried on! I still had to sift through racks and racks of jeans before I found one that I liked the look of, but the process is usually more tedious. Quite often the first (or second or third) choice wouldn't look great on me, and I definitely would need to try on several before finding the right size - there is a good reason why I only do my clothes shopping once a year (or less frequently, if I could get away with it). Burgers are similar (except that eating is hardly a tedious chore), and indeed it has been more than a year since I last ate a burger that suited my tastebuds. I avoid fast food joints - with the exception of The Shake Shack in NYC, the last time I ate at a fast food joint must have been almost a decade ago - which increases the likelihood of having a great burger experience. Gourmet burgers may be more expensive, and certainly not a fast food, but they always taste better, look nicer and generally are healthier without the additional crap that fast food burgers have. Full table service is also nice to have.

BLT Burger at Harbour City is the epitome of a classic American burger joint. Shot taken at the start of lunch service when the restaurant was still fairly empty:

BLT Burger is a casual burger American-style eatery that offers 11 types of burgers (with optional extras), a handful of starters and a small kids menu. Let's not forget the fries, onion rings and milkshakes. BLT Burger uses 100% Certified Black Angus beef - which is lost on me because I probably can't differentiate from normal beef. Don't expect first class service here, but service was adequate and polite enough. BLT Burger doesn't take reservations, so be prepared to wait during peak meal times. This place is always packed with a long queue whenever I've walked past, but early lunch time was a good time to avoid the weekend shopping crowd.

Yin & Yang Milkshake - with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Extremely sweet, even our 3-year-old refused to drink more than a sip! The choc milkshake we had at Main St. Deli was much better.

Hubby likes his burger with the lot, and ordered the BLT Burger Combo with the additional toppings of Swiss cheese, a fried egg and BBQ onion. Fries (fat or skinny) and a drink were included in the combo:

The BLT burger + cheese, egg and onion. Medium rare was just right - the meat patty was very moist, held together very well, and hubby's choice of additional ingredients were great except that it made for messy eating:

I am more of a minimalistic, and the Salmon Burger with Atlantic salmon, avocado, red onion, arugula and a zesty cayenne tartar sauce was just perfect for me:

We really enjoyed this little family date and the ice cream at Haagen Dazs afterwards. BLT Burger gets my thumbs up, which must mean something since I am quite fussy about burgers!

BLT Burger
Shop 301, Level 3, Ocean Terminal
Harbour City,
17 Canton Road
Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
+852 2730 2338

2 comments:

  1. Burgers have a special place in our home, as my sister and middle brother both work at a quality chargrilled burger store. One of their selections with fries will fill up the most ravenous person. Looks like your hubby had a 'whopper' of a burger!
    Cheers. Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete,

    Thanks for dropping by. Hubby loves burgers and gets them far more regularly than I do at work, and he always gets his burgers with the lot. One of the things he misses from Oz is HJ's Whopper :)

    ReplyDelete