Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Sunday 3 April 2016

Tasty Congee & Noodle Wantun Shop [ifc and Elements], Hong Kong

This was a place that I'd been meaning to try for ages, but haven't had the opportunity to do so. Hubby is not a fan of congee, and the only people I know who share my love for congee (my sisters and mum) don't live in Hong Kong. I finally got my chance when my parents were here a few months ago. I'd actually planned to bring them to another shop, but as we were going through the ifc mall to get there from the MTR, I made the spontaneous decision to stay for the more comfortable Tasty Congee & Noodles Wantun Shop in the ifc mall. Congee is about twice as expensive here, but there were more options - to have one, two or three protein ingredients - and many more dishes other than congee and noodles to choose. We arrived around 12 on a weekday to an almost full restaurant, but we got a table immediately. When we left an hour later, there was a long queue of people waiting for a table. The food was good and tasty, and the service we received was pretty good too.

Comfortable setting at the Tasty Congee shop in the IFC:

House Specialty Wonton Noodles, dry version. Noodles were chewy and had a good spring to them, and the wonton dumplings were tasty. I liked the sauce on the side to add to our individual tastes:

Congee with preserved egg, fish and pork intestines. The congee texture was good - not too sticky nor too watery - and was flavoured well. My mum and I enjoyed this so much that we wanted to order another bowl, but we had another dish coming:

Rice noodles with prawns and egg sauce. Kinda like horfun (wat tan hor), but not as flavoursome. The prawns were fresh and juicy:

Tasty Congee & Noodles Wantun Shop [ifc]
Shop 3016-3018
Podium Level 3, ifc Mall,
1 Harbour View Street
Central, Hong Kong
Tel. +85 2 2295 0101 (booking); +85 2 2295 0505 (takeaway)


After that good first experience, I was keen for hubby and kids to try it too. When I suggested going to the Tasty Congee shop in Elements mall for lunch one Sunday (so grateful that we live above a mall!), hubby was of course not too keen. But being the pregnant one with bad morning sickness and food aversions, he went along with my preference. Thankfully hubby and kids loved the noodles and dimsum, especially the char siu bao (babecue pork buns). Food quality and service were consistent with the shop in the ifc mall, and I reckon that we will be back.

House Specialty Wonton Noodles, dry version:

Congee with preserved egg and fish:

Char siu bao (kids loved this so much, we ordered a second serving):

The har cheong was ok - fresh prawns, but the noodle sheet was too thick:

The har gau was pretty good:

Black sesame soup, which was lightly sweetened and beautifully viscous:

Tasty Congee & Noodles Wantun Shop [Elements]
Shop 1080-82
Level One, Elements
1 Austin Road West
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Tel: 2327 2628 (Booking) 2327 2996 (Takeaway)

No comments:

Post a Comment