Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Monday 27 June 2005

Berry muffins

The other day, I decided to make healthy low fat blueberry muffins. I looked up recipes, but in the end improvised using what I have in my pantry based on the ratio of wet and dry ingredients suggested by the muffin recipes I looked. And I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out good as well. I did not have enough frozen blueberries, so I used frozen strawberries too (these frozen fruits are great for making yummy smoothies).

I used
    1 cup self raising flour
    1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
    1/4cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup chopped frozen strawberries
Preheat the oven to 180degC (mine is conventional, so use lower temp (170degC?) if using fan-forced oven). Leaving out the berries, mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then combine until just blended. Fold in the berries, whilst taking care not to overmix the batter otherwise the muffins will be tough. Pour the mixture into a 12-muffin tray, filling each muffin cup only 2/3 full. For fun, I pressed a few choc chips into the centre of some of the muffins just to see how it'd taste (Rob likes them, so it must be good right?). Place the muffin tray in preheated oven, and bake for 15-20mins. It is best enjoyed when it's warm :).

2 comments:

  1. Mmm-mm
    Jean made these for my Birthday. They're good muffins. Mmm-mm! :)
    Jean's a great cook. She almost always uses recipes only as a guide and improvises on her own and the product is always superb even when her ideas seem strange and I doubt whether they will work out. She's also made some fantastic food without using any recipes at all. Like soups and stir-frys. They've been some of the best dishes I've ever had and Jeannie ad-libbed the whole thing. So if Jean puts a recipe up of her own, you know it's top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Mmm-mm
    Aw, you make me blush, Robbie.. I'm not that great a cook. I still have yet to make curries as yummy as my mum's!!

    ReplyDelete