Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Tuesday 28 February 2006

Be careful of personal info you provide on the internet

My sister Honey is in a Malaysian magazine - without her consent or approval or even knowledge for that matter. Read her blog entry on the matter.

I've always been iffy about posting personal information on the internet. I'm even iffy about posting photos up on the internet. When I have to give personal information to non-official stuff on a non-secure form, I always only give the minimum required info, or provide the wrong birthday, or not give my full name, or just provide my initials. Or even fake information. The way I see it - the internet is a public domain - if you put personal stuff up then people will read it and may use it. However, this magazine published incorrect information that does not exist anywhere and used Honey's photo without her consent - they should get in trouble for it. It is an unfortunate thing that the legal system in Malaysia would be quite difficult to work with in Honey's favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment