Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Tuesday 5 December 2006

Yep, it's here..

The very thing I've been dreading since coming to Japan has arrived. It's officially winter here in the Noto, and it is pretty darn cold. Today's temperature did not go above 5 degC, and it even snowed early yesterday morning. I was quite puzzled because I thought I saw tiny snow falling when I woke up yesterday, but there was no white on the ground. However, many people have verified that it did snow, so I definitely wasn't imagining it. The rainwater on the ground must've melted the snow the moment it touched the ground. It won't start snowing heavily for another week or so, and I'm hoping that this inevitable event will be delayed as long as possible. A few hours ago, Rob got some kerosene for the heater, and he got the kero heater working. So yep, we've finally dragged out the heater and it is pretty stinky - apparently kero heaters smell on its first use when you haven't used it for a long time. And guess what? We found an electric heater too!

This will be our second winter this year, and the amazing thing is that I have yet to fall sick (thank God!). Usually I would fall ill two or three times every winter, but I have managed to avoid falling sick during Perth's winter this year, and I'm hoping I will not get sick at all over the next few months. I think that our cycling habits have somehow helped build my immune system. And, of course, a good healthy diet with lots of fruits and veges. Yay!

I'm pretty busy writing and marking exams at the moment, but at least the teachers' room is warm (sometimes stuffy). Needless to say, I dread the cold walk to the bathroom and the numbingly cold water. Christmas and winter vacation is coming up soon and it will be our first white Christmas - that is my only consolation for this winter..

6 comments:

  1. I think we were in Hakone then. You can imagine if it was cold where you were, how cold it was then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great time in Japan :)
    Hakone is actually more south relative to where we are in the Noto peninsula. But being close to Fuji-san would probably make it quite chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was FREEZING. Mind you, it wasn't so bad when the wind wasn't blowing (which wasn't very often) - but really, it was so frosty that there were icicles everywhere the next day!! Frosty icicles.

    SEE!!! More on that photo later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, I do have one particular photo that I took from that area that does highlight how cold it was much better than that, but considering I think it's the best photo I took all trip, I'm not going to let THAT cat out of the bag just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, okay I believe you. But you're enjoying the hot summer in Perth now, right? It's yet to become colder here..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's nice and warm here. By nice and warm, I mean stinking hot and unbearable until around 7:30-8:00pm... we went from 10ºC to 34ºC basically... it was a pretty rude shock, I can tell you that much...

    ReplyDelete