Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Thursday 18 December 2008

Beef Goulash

I don't think I've ever had Hungarian goulash before, but when I stumbled upon a goulash recipe, I was attracted by how simple it is, especially considering how little time I have now with my hands full due to the recent addition to the family. Besides, winter is upon us here in the Northern hemisphere, and there is nothing more warming than a hearty meal. I'm not a big red meat eater, but this dish is a relatively good way for me to get some haem iron, which is a very important mineral for a new-ish breastfeeding mum. This dish is also suitable for freezing, which is a great timesaver for busy days or when you are too tired to cook a full dinner.

I made a couple of modifications to the goulash recipe I referred to, like not using the oven and adding chilli for a spicy kick. Rob said it tasted good, but I don't know how authentic it is since I've never eaten goulash before.

Beef Goulash

Ingredients

1/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon paprika
some salt and pepper
800g beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces (I used what was labelled 'thigh' in Japanese - not sure what cut that would make it)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chilli powder (optional)
425g can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup water
200g button mushrooms, sliced

Method

1. Place flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow dish, and coat beef pieces in seasoned flour.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, and brown the beef pieces in two batches, for a few minutes until browned. Set aside.
3. In a stock pot, saute the onion and garlic with some oil over medium heat for a few minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
4. Stir in the beef, soup, chilli powder and water, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom.
5. Stir in mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with brown rice, pasta or couscous with vegetables on the side for a complete meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment