Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Thursday 28 May 2009

Sights around Toronto

We were in Toronto for a very short trip last weekend for a friend's wedding. We were actually invited to the ceremony in Japan, but it was during our trip to Perth so we couldn't make it. Since our trip to NYC coincided with my friend's wedding celebrations in Toronto, she asked us to come to this one instead. I was actually hoping we could squeeze in a short trip to Canada during our one month sojourn in NYC, so the invite was very welcomed. It's funny how things work out.

Toronto actually reminded me a lot of Perth. It has a laidback atmosphere, people are friendly, and, well, it just generally felt like Perth (sorry, I can't really explain why). Two days is far too short a stay, and we hope to be back in Canada for a more thorough exploration. After all, two Canadian cities were named in the top 5 of the World's Most Liveable Cities in 2008 and I want to see why for myself (4 Australian cities were also in the top 10 (two in the top 5), but I already know that Australia is a great country to live in). Here are a few shots I took of the city.

Toronto's most famous landmark feature, the CN Tower, the world's tallest for 31 years. Unfortunately, it's also super popular with tourists, and the waiting time to go up and down the tower meant that we had to skip the ride up. There was a footbridge next to the tower. (Both of these shots were taken by Rob, with a little help from me and the auto function of my dSLR):


Spring time in Toronto meant plenty of fully-bloomed tulips. The city landscape has a tasteful mix of the new...


...and the old. Also some green and shade for some respite from the walking and the sun (or for a nappy change):


We also took a very rushed trip to see Niagara Falls (involved having to be up by 4:30am, taking a 2-hour long coach ride, and having to be back at the hotel by 3:30pm for the wedding), and I will post photos of the falls soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment