Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Thursday 20 August 2009

Revisit: French Galettes @ Le Bretagne, Tokyo

A friend was visiting Tokyo from Perth, and we met up for lunch on a Thursday at Le Bretagne. She picked this French crêperie from my list of suggestions because French cuisine is sadly lacking in the Perth restaurant scene. I've previously written about our experience at Le Bretagne's Omotesando branch last year, and the same sentiments holds true for this Kagurazaka branch, except without the snooty French waiter. The place was packed at lunch time with some people waiting for tables, and I was glad I had the sense to make a reservation, which is always a good idea if one intends to have a baby as a dining companion. We enjoyed al fresco dining, which is absent from the Omotesando branch.

The food was nice, but not particularly outstanding or tasty. It is relatively healthy and quite filling, and the lunch specials are pretty good value. The lunch time specials are limited to the variety on the galette complète menu, where you get a drink and salad for 200yen extra. One apple cider drink costs around 600yen, so it was a no-brainer choice for me. I got the Scrambled Egg, Cheese, Ham, Mushrooms and Tomato Galette lunch set (1480yen) with amaguchi (sweet) apple cider (2% alc). The cider was quite nice, and I wonder if the other two types (dry and karaguchi (strong) at 5% alc) are also good. The galette combo was quite plain, and I definitely prefer the galette I got last time from the specialty menu.

Salad and Sweet Apple Cider; and the Egg, Cheese, Ham, Mushrooms and Tomato Galette:


I think this would have been a rather ordinary boring experience if not for the company. I had a great time catching up with my friend who I haven't seen for a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment