Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 1 January 2010

Navidad 2009

We celebrated Christmas this year with a couple of my Japanese mum friends and their toddlers at our humble abode. Yuki and Mariko are ex-students who gave me lots of help (and stuff) to prepare for Zak's birth, and it was really good to see them again. It actually wasn't as bad as I'd expected to have three toddlers in one small space, but this is most probably because all three toddlers are used to small apartments. And I think I have gotten a little better at getting the turkey on the table in good time over the past couple years of hosting Christmas lunches. It's always a busy time for me, but I love doing it! Rob and Honey were a great help, and most of the photos in this post are courtesy by Honey and her point-and-shoot camera (I was far too busy in the kitchen to take shots).

The snacks on the table, which was a popular hangout spot for the kids. Shortbread, popcorn, raisin biscuits, vege sticks and homemade bacon and onion dip:

The turkey, ready for our tummies:

The spread on the table: stuffed and roasted turkey (with gravy that was still in the making at the time of photo), creamy mashed potatoes, roasted pumpkin and sweet potatoes, homemade coleslaw, cranberry jelly, steamed brocolli and cauliflower to be accompanied by the cheese sauce. Rob carved the bird well too!

Tropical fruit trifle for dessert using homemade sponge cake, homemade custard, hand-whipped cream and sprinkled with toasted sliced almonds:

The company that I enjoyed a merry Christmas '09 with:

Anyway, as today is the eve of the new year, I wish everyone an awesome New Year! See you in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment