Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 17 February 2012

Spanish @ Fandango, Hong Kong

I think it's true that for most people outside of Spain, Spanish food is all about tapas; for me, I'm a little obsessed with paella. This rice dish was the first Spanish food introduced to me (by hubby, many years ago before we married), and I would be disappointed if I walked into a Spanish restaurant only to find out that they serve only tapas and no paella. I haven't tried many Spanish restaurants in Hong Kong, and I was keen for some paella. Fandango at The Toy House stands out for being the only non-Japanese restaurant in the building. I checked that Fandango served paella on their menu, and off we went to have Spanish for lunch.

The first thing we saw when we stepped out of the lift on the 9th floor: two medieval plate armour stands guard just outside the entrance to Fandango. The 3-year-old was understandably a little spooked by them:

The interior was warm and cozy, with a Mediterranean feel. Service was polite and friendly, and we ate our meal quite comfortably. Fandango's lunch menu was very affordably priced, with many choices for each course. Eating here was a breeze for our son, in terms of his multiple food allergies.

Complimentary bread and a couple of tapas (olives and a garlicky tomato frito):

Refreshing sangria, pleasantly not too boozy. Hubby said his sangria was overpoweringly lemony, and that my glass was better than his:

Hubby's Sopa de Marisco (seafood soup) - the broth was rich in seafood flavours, but lacking in actual seafood:

My Ensalada de Pimientos Asados (roasted peppers salad) - I enjoyed this, and the vinaigrette dressing was not too acidic or oily. I found myself wishing that the salad leaves were torn into smaller pieces to make it easier to eat:

Hubby got the Cochinillo Asado a la Segoviana (roasted suckling pig, Segovia-style) - crackling was tasty, but I wanted more meat and less fat:

My Paella de Marisco (seafood paella) - the rice was quite al dente, and satisfyingly rich with the umami flavours of the sea. In addition to the prawn and shellfish on top, pieces of seafood were scattered among the rice. Strands of saffron were visible too:

Hubby's dessert - Catalonia Cream (creamy custard topping with caramel crust). Like crème brûlée, the caramel crust gave a satisfying crack after a light tap. Not cloyingly sweet or overly rich, it was quite enjoyable:

I chose Profiteroles con Chocolate Caliente, which technically isn't Spanish, but was a good choice nonetheless:

I enjoyed having Spanish for lunch, and hope to try out more Spanish restaurants around HK.

Fandango
9/F ,The Toy House
100 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Tel: +85 2 2957 8797

No comments:

Post a Comment