Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 2 March 2013

Wong Kok Char Chan Teng @ SS2, Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

After I became a mother a few years ago, one of the things I am made even more aware of, is how quickly time passes by. Actually, it is more accurate to say that I don't actually notice the time slipping by until I look at my boy and see that he is no longer the little baby we once bundled and cradled. And then I wonder at how quickly time has gone by. I am sure most, if not all, mothers can attest to this. I am also feeling the pinch of time more so since I celebrated my big three-oh a few months ago. On our final evening in Malaysia, we celebrated my niece's 3rd birthday with my second sister's family and some of our cousins, and I found myself thinking (as I am wont to do at kids' birthday parties), "Wow, she's already 3?! Where did that time go?" My sister chose a diner that was very close to my aunt's place where we were stayed, and it just so happened to be Hong Kong-style cha chaan teng. It was relatively nicer, more spacious and more comfortable compared to the cha chaan tengs in HK, with an outdoor seating space and air-conditioned dining area.

Our table was treated to a complimentary HK-style chocolate milk tea, served in a huge novelty glass complete with a teddy bear, in honor of my niece's birthday:

The service we received was average, except for one issue. My sister's partner ordered the western-style chicken (served with French fries and corn cob) but he was given steak, which was a few ringgit more expensive. Staff insisted that he'd ordered steak, and after a brief confrontation, he decided to just accept the food because it wasn't worth a fight. He said that if he'd ordered steak, he wouldn't have ordered it well-done. That was poorly handled by the restaurant's staff who ought not to argue with customers about what they ordered. The menu was quite extensive with plenty to choose from, and food was reasonably priced. Everything was served with rice, noodles, French fries or bread; vegetables-only or meat-only plates weren't available for those on low-carb or paleo diets. The food was about the same style and quality as in HK, quite uncomplicated and tasty but rather greasy - not the type of food to eat everyday.

Hubby ordered an Iced Chocolate drink, which was chocolatey and had a scoop of chocolate ice cream:

A Fish, Vegetables and Rice dish, for our 4-year-old who was more interested in playing with his cousins than eating:

Hubby ordered Fried Noodles that had been stir-fried with slices of chicken and a smattering of vegetables:

I ordered a Shrimps, Vegetables and Rice dish, expecting a fairly healthy meal, but what I got was deep-fried battered shrimps with a huge dollop of tartare sauce. I can't eat much deep-fried food, and I dislike the creaminess of the tartare sauce, so I can't say I enjoyed this bowl. Hubby said it was tasty enough for him:

Although I didn't think that Wong Kok was an accurate representation of a typical local cha chaan teng in Hong Kong, they must be doing something right because there are over 22 branches all over Malaysia and Singapore! Probably worth a try if you're having a birthday (with more than five people), as you'll receive a huge serving of milk tea to share with everyone in your party, and a little teddy bear to keep.

Wong Kok Char Chan Teng
2, Ground Floor
Wisma Caesars Club
Jalan SS2/67
47300, Petaling Jaya
Selangor, Malaysia
Tel : +60 3 7874 8611

No comments:

Post a Comment