Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 20 January 2006

Apple Crumble rumble

I like easy-to-make recipes that are yummy. Apple crumble is so easy, you can make them in your sleep (almost). And the one I made today is so yummy and more-ish yet not overpoweringly sugary or rich that it's quite possible I could eat it all in one sitting if I was given the chance to :9. The crumble topping came out nice and crunchy, and the apples were deliciously soft.

The first recipe I ever tried was a recipe given to me by Rob's mum, but it called for far too much flour and oats (so the crumble mixture was too dry and floury). Most recipes available on the net uses the a 2:1:1 ratio of flour+oats:butter:sugar (Rob's mum's recipe uses a ratio of 4:1:1). I've modified that 2:1:1 ratio to reduce the amount of butter and sugar, and it turned out great.

Ingredients

Crumble
125g self raising flour
75g rolled oats
50g butter
75g sugar
2tsp ground cinnamon
0.5tsp ground nutmeg
0.25tsp ground ginger (I have lots of this stuff, so I'm trying to use it up)
juice of 1 lemon (~1/4cup) (The lemon juice adds the extra flavour and moisture I needed to the crumble mixture to make up for the fact that I ran out of butter)

Apple mixture
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/8ths (~700g)
cinnamon and brown sugar to sprinkle (as much or as little as you want)


Method

Preheat oven to 190degC (less if using fan-forced)

Peel, core and cut apples (or get someone else to do it for you) and lay them in an ovenproof dish (I think using a metal dish will cook the apples a lot quicker. We used to use a ceramic dish for apple crumble, but the apples were always still quite crunchy). Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on the apples.



Combine the oats and SR flour and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (As mentioned before, I actually ran out of butter and only had about 25g, but I improvised and added ~1tbsp of olive oil.) Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and combine well. Add the lemon juice and combine well until mixture is a bit moist.



Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the apples.



Bake in the oven for 40minutes until the crumble is browned and crunchy :)



Serve as is, or with cream or custard or ice cream or frozen yoghurt. Can be enjoyed warm or cold.



2 comments:

  1. Great recipe!
    Another approach is to lower the sugar a little, and add sultanas :) YUM :)
    Also, I've found using the smaller round baking dishes with a bit of depth, and nice juicy apples .. you can apply a thicker layer of 'crumble' and it absorbs the moisture. This way you get a top layer that goes from crunchy to chewy, as it gets closer to the apple :)
    YUMMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Great recipe!
    Thanks for the tips! I did use a dish that was way too wide and I ran out of ingredients before I could get a good depth. But this means the crumble is all crunchy, which is how I like it (although I think Rob prefers it a bit more crumbly). I also usually add sultanas but I ran out of the stuff..

    ReplyDelete