Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday 13 October 2006

Bugsville

Honestly, Japan is bugsville. So many bugs everywhere! And they're huge too! We've seen birds about the size of my index finger, and bugs much bigger than those birds. Good thing neither of us are scared of bugs (well, actually, I don't like huge dead bugs. A cockroach's corpse is worse to me than a live one). Anyway, this beautiful spider was just outside our apartment. It was quite big - its body alone was perhaps at least 2inches long. The patterns on its back and legs are quite pretty. Of course, there are much uglier-looking bugs around..

4 comments:

  1. OMG!
    If I saw that spider outside my house I would NEVER step outside again! I'm absolutely pertified of spiders! *_*
    ps. it doesnt look beautiful to me. It looks like it could eat me alive! :P
    Rin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: OMG!
    Haha I don't think you'll be able to live in this part of Japan then, at least not during summer :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, some info here:
    The East Asian species Argiope amoena is known in Japan as kogane-gumo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrew%27s_Cross_spider
    http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html
    Kor

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha cool! Very pretty spiders indeed..

    ReplyDelete