The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Friday, 13 October 2006

A heads up for anyone wanting to come to Japan!

The 2007 JET Application forms for Aussies are now available here. My advice is to apply if you are thinking of living in Japan because it's a great way to come here - they really do take care of a lot of things for you. The only requirements for the application are that you need to have a degree by July 2007 and that you're an Australian citizen.

Application deadline is 1 December 2006.


  1. Do you need to have a teaching certificate of any kind? Or will just a undergraduate degree do? I've been reading your blog and I don't think I could plan and teach lessons all by myself! They do offer you heaps of training right? :P

  2. Hi! To get a work visa in Japan, you need to be a uni grad with any degree, so JET program doesn't require any teaching experience or certs. It might help to have them, but there are HEAPS of fresh grads on the JET Program with no teaching experience or certs. At the orientations they give you lots of training seminars to attend and you bring home lots of materials on how to plan lessons. Plus you always will have a Japanese Teacher of English with you in classes. I think the main thing they look for is really outgoing and genki people who can easily adapt to different cultures (and speak English). So focus on these in your application.
    I hope this helps, and good luck!!