Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 14 October 2006

Eggy oyako donburi

Yesterday I made my first attempt at cooking oyakodon, and it is very simple to do - the only thing you have to be careful is to avoid making scrambled eggs. I found a good website with loads of information on how to cook various Japanese dishes, complete with a glossary of ingredients and tools and names of Japanese food - this is where I based my oyakodon recipe upon.

Whenever we ate oyakodon at Mr. Samurai on Beaufort Street back in Perth, Rob would remark at how yummy the sauce was. I can't believe how easy it is to make it! Just like how I was surprised at how easy it was to make teriyaki sauce (believe it or not, the first time I had teriyaki sauce was the one I made). I've found that many Japanese sauces consist of soy sauce, mirin and sugar in different quantities, so it wasn't so surprising to learn that the tsuyu sauce for oyakodon is made up of those three ingredients plus dashi. Rob said my oyakodon tasted very much like the ones we buy so I guess we'll count this recipe as a success. I just need to work on the visual presentation of it - the eggs turned out too scrambled for my liking.

Oyako donburi for two

Ingredients

2 cups cooked rice
100g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, sliced very thinly
3 eggs, very lightly beaten (avoid foaming)

tsuyu:
1/2 cup dashi
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Method

Divide ingredients into two. Heat the tsuyu in a shallow pan or pot, then place the onion in the tsuyu and cook for a couple of minutes until the onion has softened. Next add the chicken and bring up to a simmer until the chicken is cooked. Pour the eggs slowly and evenly into the pot and ever-so-gently break up the eggs to blend. Turn off the fire when you think it is about 80% cooked, and serve immediately on rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment