Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday 27 December 2006

Ninja Temple

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas yesterday.

Haha, so much for having more time to blog. I took more photos since my last journal entry and I was hoping that I'd have time to write about them before I take more photos on the ski trip we're going on tomorrow, but we've managed to keep ourselves very busy these past couple of days.

On Sunday, we went out with fellow JET Kim and her husband Richie to Kanazawa. A long two-hour drive, but we had a good time. First, we checked out a temple that has the nickname Ninja-dera because of the many tricks and traps incorporated into its architecture. Trapstairs, hidden stairways and secret floors are just some of the features of this temple. The brochure says that although the temple has many tricks in it, it was not constructed for ninja - the "tricks and traps were devised for shogunate spies and enemies and to allow a sudden escape". Pretty cool. (Being a place of worship, no photography was allowed inside the temple so I don't have anything to show.)

Outside the Ninja Temple:

No comments:

Post a Comment