Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Blueberry goodness

The same weekend of the Abare Matsuri, I drove my visiting friends around the Noto - to the Wajima asaichi (morning market), Senmaida and all the other places worth visiting in the Noto. It was a long drive, but the summer scene is gorgeous - both of the sea and of the mountains.

There is a blueberry farm in Yanagida opposite the Botanical Park and adjacent to the blueberry winery, and blueberry season has begun. Blueberry picking has just opened to the public, and will continue onto mid August, so we took this opportunity to stuff our face full of blueberries. We pay a 1000yen (~AU$10) entry fee per person, and it's a tabehoudai affair: all-you-can-eat while you pick. We were each given a small tub to fill which we can take with us when we leave. If we wanted more than the little tub, it was a 2100yen/kg price tag. I think I'd eaten and picked more than my entry fee's worth.

Rob, Holly and Rie busy:


A strange, stripey insect atop one of the blueberry bush, and my harvest (the kiasu in me filled my tub past its brim):

No comments:

Post a Comment