Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 12 October 2013

In Rennes: the capital of Brittany

I haven't been able to put up more posts this week because it has been quite a busy week for me. I got called to teach all week but could only accept three days as I had already committed to going on my son's first field trip on Thursday, and I needed Friday to make all the preparations for my son's birthday BBQ today. This birthday do almost didn't happen because I knew that it would be tough to pull it off when 8 months pregnant, but I felt bad knowing that this may be the last opportunity for my son to have a birthday party for the following few years. Well, the birthday party is done, the kids had loads of fun, and I didn't do too badly on only 4 hours of sleep last night. I will write up a post on that later. For now, here are some shots I took when we spent a day in Rennes. I actually wanted us to go straight from Paris to our destination in Brittany, but the timing of the train wasn't practical (we would have had to catch a 6am train), so we decided to do an overnight in the capital of Brittany as a stopover. Rennes is a nice little town, and in fact I was glad to have a break in the long train ride.

The high speed train we took from Paris to Rennes:

Street shot during our exploratory walk around Rennes:

Saint George Palace, which now houses the city's fire services and other civil administrative offices:

View of the palace garden:

A couple of bright-coloured bugs doing what I assume to be the "horizontal tango":

Rue Saint-Georges, a quaint little street with restaurants and crêperies:

The facade of the palace of the Parliament of Brittany:

Parc du Thabor, a large formal French garden:

Tranquility at Parc du Thabor:

There is even an aviary at Thabor Park:

No comments:

Post a Comment