Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Monday 2 June 2014

Hawker food @ USJ Taipan, Subang Jaya (Malaysia)

We're back home in Hong Kong after a quick trip to Malaysia, where we spent some time in both Peninsular and East Malaysia. We had a great time with my family and extended relatives when we got together for my cousin's wedding in Kuala Lumpur, and then we enjoyed a fabulous few days in Kota Kinabalu. We ate so much! Malaysian cuisine will always have a special place in my heart (and stomach), and I'm sure hubby is glad he met and married a Malaysian-born girl because some of his favourite dishes are Malaysian. The following photos are some of the dishes we ate shortly after arriving in KL. To be honest, I was not in my best mood when we sat down to dinner that night at a hawker centre in USJ Taipan (a.k.a. Taipan Business Centre), a short drive from my parents' apartment where we were staying. We had landed only a few hours prior, I was weary from this seemingly never-ending sleep deprivation (brought on by the combination of motherhood and packing for our trip), and at 8pm it was past both kids' usual bedtimes. It was hot, muggy, and the only table we could get was on the road with traffic zooming by only centimetres away. It really wasn't the best place for dining out with kids (especially not for nursing a 6-month-old infant who was due for a feed), with questionable hygiene and uncomfortable setting. I sound like such a princess, but I probably wouldn't be fussed at all if I didn't have the kids with me. All the negativity aside, this was some of the best and cheapest food we ate during our time in KL. I don't have the name of the hawker centre, but I know it is across the road from a PappaRich restaurant. There are only three photos because in my moodiness, I didn't feel like photo-taking, but as I ate more and more of the food, I started to change my mind, and then decided that photos of some already-eaten plates are better than none! Besides the following three dishes, we also enjoyed chicken claypot rice, pomfret in soup and a few noodle dishes.

RM5 for this plate of delicious char kuey teow, hubby's favourite Malaysian food. The best I had on this trip, with good wok hei and a generous amount of 'see hum' (cockles):

Got this sotong kangkung (squid with water spinach with a savoury-sweet sauce made with shrimp paste and sprinkled with ground peanuts) at a Penang-style rojak stall. Deliciously crunchy:

Rojak from the same stall. Sweet, sour, salty and crunchy on one plate:

That's all for now, but there's more to follow, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment