Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 1 July 2006

Warm and fuzzy feeling

My family suggested going out for dinner on Friday night so they asked me to book Warwick Chinese Restaurant (a family favourite) for two Peking Duck courses. We only found out at the dinner table that the occasion was to treat Rob and myself a farewell sorta thing. I thought that was a very nice gesture :) - thanks guys!!

I've already done a review of the restaurant but there are a few additional things worth noting. Apparently the restaurant has recently changed management and although the food was tasty, it wasn't the same. Serving sizes aren't as generous as it used to and you're now charged extra $1 per plate if you ask for extra plates of vege sticks for the pancake course, and $1.50 for extra lettuce leaves for the sanchoybao. My mum usually ask for cut chilli and we were charged 50c for it tonight. One Peking Duck course also has increased by $1 to $55 (one duck = 3 courses which is plenty for 5 adults). All these aren't much additional costs but we are comparing it to what we are used to and weren't as satisfied as we would usually be. Also, it wasn't as crowded as it usually is for a Friday night, and I have a feeling the place is losing its usual patronage. There were lots of non-Asians in the restaurant so the restaurant is definitely still popular amongst them. Don't get me wrong though - it's definitely worth a try if you haven't been before. Rob remarked that he really enjoyed the food tonight (his only complaint was that there weren't enough vege sticks and lettuce leaves).

I had a good time tonight catching up with my family. I will miss them when we're in Japan and tonight expounded that fact even more so. I still have another month here so I will make an extra effort to spend more time with them.. Sigh - if I only didn't have so much preparations to do as well as full time work.

Anyway, here are some of the photos I took tonight..





First course - duck skin



Dave demonstrating how to roll the pancake with the duck skin whilst Ian and Seth shows how it is eaten





Second course: duck soup



Third courses: sanchoybao and duck noodles





Rob pulling a face

No comments:

Post a Comment