Pages

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G.K. Chesterton

Saturday 4 April 2020

Nut-free Cocoa Bliss Balls

My days have been even more busy with the kids kept at home for the past two weeks while we practice social distancing to flatten the curve. I will be the first (but not the only one) to admit that I have found this a particularly challenging period of adjustment. One of my favourite ways to unwind under stressful times is creating in the kitchen, but free time is scarce, so I cannot engage in anything too involved or lengthy. I also need to offer healthy snacks for the kids that are easy to give (as they are perpetually hungry and asking for food all the time at home!). Bliss balls tick all the boxes: quick and easy to make (taking me less than 30 minutes from gathering the ingredients in my pantry to rolling the last bliss ball), these are healthy snacks that taste like treats, and they store well for up to 2 weeks in the fridge (though these bliss balls don't last more than a day in this household!). I am limited to nut-free recipes, and I have tried a few bliss balls recipes in the past couple of months, but this is the first one that I thought is a keeper. I adapted this recipe from Taste, substituting honey for the maple syrup and adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to help firm up the bliss balls in the fridge. These bliss balls are also dairy-free, and tastes delicious without any coating. These bliss balls got big thumbs up from the hubby and kids alike, so I'll be making these regularly!

(I just did a quick search on my blog, and apparently a few years ago I've made another higher protein version of nut-free choco-coconut bliss balls, but it requires the use of some protein powder, which not every household would have in their pantry!)

Nut-free Cocoa Bliss Balls

(shown here rolled in cocoa powder, dessicated coconut and au naturale)

Ingredients
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
3/4 cup (120g) pitted dates
1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted if in solidified state
extra cocoa powder and dessicated coconut for coating

Method
1) Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes, drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid. (Skip this step if using medjool dates which are usually moist enough.)
2) Process the rolled oats, cacao powder or cocoa powder, dates, desiccated coconut, reserved liquid, honey and coconut oil in a food processor until almost smooth and well combined.
3) Place extra cocoa powder or desiccated coconut on a plate. Roll 2-tablespoons portions of mixture into balls. Roll in cocoa powder or coconut to evenly coat. Place on a lined tray in the fridge for 1 hour or until set. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment